Barking up the wrong tree

The life and thoughts of the guy who remembers all the wrong things.

Name:
Location: Clemson, South Carolina, United States

I recently graduated from Clemson University with a degree in Civil Engineering. This job market has kept me unemployed so far. I'm a former Marine and a combat veteran. I read a ridiculously large number of webcomics, though I like printed books too. And if you know any good Korean-specific racial slurs, please let me know.

Sunday, January 09, 2005

Humility

I think a disclaimer is in order. I am a deeply faithful man. I have faith in a divine being of great power and compassion that loves me and everyone else and wants for all of us to be happy but even more he, she, or it wants all of us (including myself) to become something better than we are, to be whatever we were truly meant to be in all the light and love that he she or it has to shower upon us. Everything else I think is an idea open to change.
I find myself confused by religious fanatics. Most of the ones I've spoken to or have overheard have spoken about the great and unknowable will and plan that the divine has in place for us mortals. That there is a purpose that no human can ever know and a plan that will ensure that all comes out for the best.
So far I can follow that. It seems to make sense and is cohesive.
Then they tell me that they have the way to fit in with this plan, that they can ensure I am always acting in accordance with this plan, that I can always do my part and ensure that everyone else is doing theirs. They can tell me this because they understand the Great and Unknowable plan. The plan that I am too mortal to ever understand and comprehend they know instictively and perfectly.
This always struck me as a perfect example of sinful pride. Believing that one can comprehend something only comprehensible by a divine power is something that I think would piss off a deity. Now this assumes that deities can be pissed (which most religions do) and that they care what we pitiful mortals think and do (which most religions do).
I don't claim to be the model of perfect humility. That would be a hypocritical lie and I am neither a big enough hypocrite nor a big enough liar let alone both to make such a claim. I simply feel that we should all go through life trying to make things better for each other and try to find our own way to God's love and allow everyone else to take that journey in their own way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home