Barking up the wrong tree

The life and thoughts of the guy who remembers all the wrong things.

Name:
Location: Clemson, South Carolina, United States

I recently graduated from Clemson University with a degree in Civil Engineering. This job market has kept me unemployed so far. I'm a former Marine and a combat veteran. I read a ridiculously large number of webcomics, though I like printed books too. And if you know any good Korean-specific racial slurs, please let me know.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

I must be crazy...

I've taken on this project. It's directly related to my (currently) most involving hobby. Pen and Paper RPGs for those of you who don't know. Basically, I'm redesigning the way Magic works so I can integrate it more flexibly into the system I most enjoy playing with.
It's a big project. The basics of it are easy enough, and I've almost gotten them all finished. The problem is that to be complete and thorough with it, I'll have to take every single spell in the existing rules and do a minor rewrite to make it fit my new system. Very labor intensive, even if it's not very difficult. The final results would be about 200 or 300 pages long.
I'm not planning to do all of that yet. I just want to get the basic mechanics worked out and get some feedback on those. Heck, I may even post the results here for a longer-term storage space.
I'm excited about this project, even though it's a huge amount of work. We shall see what happens.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cayzle said...

Well, what system are you using? Rather than modify every existing spell, could you create rules on HOW to modify existing spells, and have players apply the modification rules when they need to use the spell? Either during the game or when they learn the spell or before the session in which they intend to use the spell?

I like the idea of empowering players with the knowledge of how things work, rather than just presenting them with a new/modified system and no explanation of why things have changed.

Plus getting players to do your work for you is a big time saver.

6:11 AM  
Blogger Gunrock - DGH said...

Holy Crap! Constructive input.

I'm using a spell point system to grant greater flexibility while still maintaining balance.

The modifications for spells will be akin to the changes in powers made by the Expanded Psionics Handbook. Since some spells will have increasing save DCs while others will have increasing damage and others have other effects, I'm expecting that I will have to make these changes individually.

The rewrites will be small, so a fireball will still be a fireball, but the changes are likely to be custom fitted for increased balance.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home