Barking up the wrong tree

The life and thoughts of the guy who remembers all the wrong things.

Name:
Location: Clemson, South Carolina, United States

I recently graduated from Clemson University with a degree in Civil Engineering. This job market has kept me unemployed so far. I'm a former Marine and a combat veteran. I read a ridiculously large number of webcomics, though I like printed books too. And if you know any good Korean-specific racial slurs, please let me know.

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Man, why aren't there more like this?

I'm taking a British Literature course (renaissance and earlier). A lot of the pieces we've covered so far are old, as much as 1400 years old. The thing is, they are good. Really good.
I read a lot of fiction, especially science and fantasy, and I've become adept at determining if a book is worth looking at (poor writing, predictable plots, flat characters, and similar problems are to be avoided) with a quick examination. I haven't wanted to turn away from most of these; the characters are interesting, the plots are either unusual or were so new that they don't feel like the cliches they have become since, and the pacing and imagery makes it relatively easy to wade into the tales. My only question is, why don't more authors write like this? It's disappointing.

More rants, complaints, and raves later.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home