Barking up the wrong tree

The life and thoughts of the guy who remembers all the wrong things.

Name:
Location: Clemson, South Carolina, United States

I recently graduated from Clemson University with a degree in Civil Engineering. This job market has kept me unemployed so far. I'm a former Marine and a combat veteran. I read a ridiculously large number of webcomics, though I like printed books too. And if you know any good Korean-specific racial slurs, please let me know.

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Scary Thought

What if the world ended and no one noticed?
Hang on a second. What I'm proposing is that the doom sayers were right and the end was nigh. Then it came and now we're living in the aftermath. The war is over, the anti-Christ is among us and ruling in his thousand years of misery.
I thought of this earlier today while reading the accounts of a reporter embedded with First Reconnaissance Battalion during the initial invasion of Iraq in 2003 ("Generation Kill" by Evan Wright). I was reading this and finding this outsider's perspective on me and mine (U.S. Marines) very odd and insightful. During this a comment is made by one of the officers. During the second world war, many Marines hesitated to fire upon the enemy when they first encountered him; they had an aversion to killing that was so deeply ingrained that personal threat could not immediately overcome it. During the Iraq invasion no one hesitated.
That aversion is gone. That seems like a bad sign to me. But maybe I'm just in one of my easily depressed moods.
Enjoy that scary thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home